American Express is undertaking a series of measures to help employees, cardholders and merchants get through the COVID-19 pandemic both from a financial and public health standpoint.
The card company has moved just about all customer service and travel operations to virtual, home-based operations and committed to no COVID-19-related layoffs in 2020. The company will continue to pay salaries of employees diagnosed with the virus, as well as workers forced to quarantine or take care of family members, according to a press release.
The firm is fully covering out-of-pocket medical and pharmacy costs related to the virus.
American Express is offering special discounts to cardholders for home essentials, food delivery and takeout, digital entertainment, wellness and business services. Member Rewards users are eligible for the following benefits:
- A 20% discount on Amazon.com when using Membership Rewards points at checkout up to $50 in total savings.
- Membership rewards points can go 30% extra when shopping on the Amex Shop site through May 26.
- Members shopping on Grubhub and Seamless starting later this month through the end of 2020 can get 2X points.
American Express is also waiving travel fees modifications on trips booked through American Express Travel through May 31.
The following changes are related to merchants:
- American Express is extending the time that merchants have to respond to a dispute to 30 days for disputes received between March 1 and May 31.
- The company is raising contactless transaction thresholds to reduce physical contact at the POS, with 28 countries participating and more planned.
- Merchants do not have to collect cardholder signatures at the POS.
Cover image: American Express
Companies: American Express